Open Burning / Permit Application

​Open Burning

A Burning Permit is required for any "OPEN BURNING".  

Open Burning is defined by the Minnesota State Fire Code as:

"The burning of materials wherein products of combustion are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed chamber.  Open burning does not include road flares, smudge-pots, and similar devises associated with safety or occupational uses typically considered open flames, recreational fires, or the use of portable outdoor fireplaces, 
For the purpose of this definition, a chamber shall be regarded as enclosed when, during the time combustion occurs, only apertures, ducts, stacks, flues or chimneys necessary to provide combustion air and permit the escape of exhaust gas are open."
  • Acceptable burn materials in an open burn include: trees, brush, leaves, grass, and slash. 
  • Prohibited burn materials are: oils, rubber, plastics, tires and chemically treated materials such as railroad ties, treated lumber, composite shingles, tar paper, insulation, composition board, sheet rock, wiring, paint, hazardous and industrial solid waste. 
  • Open burns cannot be left unattended until the fire is completely extinguished.  
  • The fire will not be allowed to smolder without a flame.
  • Open burning is not allowed if windy conditions are present.
  • The burning permit must be available at the burn site for inspection


Q - When do I need a burning permit?
A - When the fuel area for the fire will be more than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. The ground is not covered in at least three (3) inches of snow.  The MNDNR will require burning permits during the winter season if snow levels become marginal. Waite Park will require a permit also in this event.

Q - How big of a brush pile can I burn?
A - The maximum pile size is 20' x 20' x 20'.  The area around these piles should also be cleared of combustibles to prevent fire spread.

Q - What hours can I burn?
A - 6:00 PM until midnight

Q - If it is windy, can I still have my campfire or burn my brush pile?
A - No.  Any conditions that may cause the fire to spread need to be eliminated.

Q - Can I have a campfire/recreational fire during spring burning restrictions:
A - Yes.  Spring burning restrictions are geared toward open burning and restrict the issuance of burning permits. However, during a  burning ban, or a red flag warning, all outside burning is prohibited.

​Applying for a burning permit

If you need to request a Burning Permit, please complete the below Burning Permit Application at least 48 hours prior to the date/time that you wish to burn.  You must use Internet Explorer as your browser, or your entries in the application form will not be saved.  Complete and save the Application file and email it to Fire Chief Jim Aleshire at   The Fire Chief will review the application and determine if a burning permit may be issued.  If approved, a Burning Permit will be prepared and emailed back to you. Once received, the Burning Permit will need to be signed by you stating that you agree to follow the Fire Safety and Air Quality Requirements listed on the permit.  The Burning Permit must be available at the burn site for inspection.

Burning Permit Application Form